Whole30 instant pot sweet and sour chicken is so easy and so quick to make. It’s completely Paleo, sugar free, gluten free, and made in less 30 minutes. The simplicity of this recipe makes it perfect for a weeknight meal that’s family friendly, or for Whole30 meal prep.
- prep time:10
- cook time:15
- total time:25 minutes
- yield:serves 4-6
- method:instant pot
- cuisine: Asia
For the Chicken:
- 2 tablespoons Sesame Oil
- 2 tablespoons Garlic Olive Oil
- 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1.5 inch-2 inch pieces (about 3 large chicken breasts)
- 1 medium red onion, halved and then chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 red pepper, seeds and stem removed and then chopped into 1 inch-2 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup canned pineapple chunks
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
For the Sauce:
- 1/3 cup pineapple balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup Primal Kitchen Whole30 Approved Ketchup
- 2/3 cup pineapple juice from canned pineapple
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese 5 Spice seasoning (omit if you don’t have it)
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder mixed with 1/3 cup cold water for thickening
- Select “sauté” mode on the instant pot and add the sesame oil to the pot. Once hot, add diced chicken and salt and sear for 1 minute on each side, flipping using tongs
- Press “cancel” and then add in the peppers, onions and pineapple chunks to the top of the chicken. Do not stir
- Mix together all sauce ingredients except for the arrowroot powder and water in a small bowl. Add the sauce into the instant pot, close the lid, and set to “manual high pressure” for 5 minutes. Make sure the venting valve is set to sealed
- Once done, do a quick release and remove the lid. With a slotted spoon, remove the chicken and vegetables and place into the serving dish
- Select “sauté” mode again. Mix the arrowroot and cold water together until it dissolves and pour mixture into the remaining liquid in the instant pot. Stir to combine and let it come to a rolling simmer
- Sauce will begin to thicken, keep stirring for about 2 minutes and once the simmer slows to a slow rolling bubble, sauce is done. Pour sauce over the chicken and vegetables, add sesame seeds, green onions or cilantro to preference and serve with cauliflower rice!
- Add sesame oil and garlic oil to a large rimmed skillet on medium-high heat. Once hot, add chicken and sear on both sides about 2 minutes per side. Then, add in the onions, peppers and pineapple. Stir to combine and let cook for about 3 minutes.
- Combine all sauce ingredients except for the arrowroot and water in a small bowl, and then pour mixture into the skillet. Stir to combine, bring to a simmer and then reduce heat to medium and then cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Once chicken is cooked through, remove chicken and vegetables with a slotted spoon leaving just the liquid in the skillet. Mix arrowroot powder and water in a small dish until arrowroot is dissolved and then pour into the remaining liquid. Bring the liquid to a simmer once again, stirring often.
- Sauce will begin to thicken and once the simmer slows to a rolling bubble, either add the chicken and veggies back into the skillet to coat with the sauce, or pour sauce over the chicken and veggies!
- Garnish with sesame seeds, green onions or cilantro, serve over cauliflower rice and enjoy!
keywords: whole30 instant pot, instant pot sweet and sour chicken, paleo sweet and sour chicken