Venison Chili with Apples
- 2 tablespoons Koroneiki Olive Oil
- 1 1/4 pounds Venison Stew Meat trimmed, roughly ground or diced
- 2 medium Yellow Onions finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Cumin ground
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic chopped
- 2 Jalapenos seeded and chopped
- 3 Granny Smith Apples peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Chopped Canned Tomatoes do not drain juice
- 1/4 cup Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Chicken Broth may need to add a bit more
- 1/2 cup Red Wine
- 1 Sourdough Baguette sliced 1/2 thick
- Cheddar or Monterey Jack Cheese
- Chopped Scallions to garnish
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a heavy pot large enough to hold all ingredients. Add venison and onions, and brown for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add cumin, chili powder, garlic, jalapenos, apples, salt and black pepper, and cook for 5 minutes longer.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken broth and red wine. Bring to a boil, and simmer partially covered for 2 hours, stirring occasionally, adding more broth if mixture becomes dry.
- Taste to adjust seasonings, and serve.