Another month of 2022 has come and gone! With it, the leaves are beginning to turn, the air is a bit chillier, and the smell of burning piles of leaves is in the air. We’ve added a few news things at the Olive Oil Co. this month.
Come in and sample some of the best caramel syrup you’ve ever tasted. Caramel Kitchens is a new source for the store, and they have some delicious and unusual flavors. Who would’ve guessed expresso caramel or bourbon caramel were real flavors?!! Don’t take my word for it, come in and try a taste! We tried it with the new pumpkin-spiced tea bags which we have just gotten in!
We’ve added Daisy to our staff also this month. She will be a part-time employee. Please come in and welcome her to the crew.
With the cooler weather, chocolate, in several varieties, is back in stock. We feature Alter Eco truffles and bars as well as Equal bars. There’s a big variety of flavors for these chocolate bars as well. Some of them are: Mint thins, Almond and sea salt, Dark chocolate almond, Dark chocolate velvet, Deep dark sea salt, and others!
A couple of new oils on the shelves are Baklouti Green Chili olive oil and White Truffle Oil. We’ve also replenished the pasta with some of your favorite flavors and a couple of new ones.
A favorite item has returned: Sutter Buttes flavored mustards – jalapeño whiskey and spicy & sweet. A new brand of mustards has appeared on our shelves as well. Old Brooklyn Mustards in a Bohemian Blend, priced at $5.99! Come in and give it a try. There are several flavors of Fired Up Jellies and Jams available now, also. You gotta try it to believe it! There is Strawberry Habanero Jelly, Vanilla Rhubarb Jam, and Cinnful Peach Habanero Jam. 11.5 oz jars are priced at $6.99.
In honor of all the fall colors and vegetables, our recipe this month features some of our favorite fall veggies! Hope you like it!
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH WITH GARAM MASALA
1 peeled and sliced butternut squash ( cut into 1 ½ inch cubes) about a 2 -3 lb. squash
1 teaspoon Garam Masala seasoning (we have it!)
1 ½ tablespoons Olive Oil (we’ve got it!)
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt (Yeah, we got this, too!)
2 teaspoons chopped thyme (You guessed it, we got it!)
- Preheat oven to 425 and line a sheet pan with parchment paper or spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix brown sugar, salt and garam masala. Toss squash with olive oil and then sprinkle with mixture.
- Spread on sheet pan and roast without turning for 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and using a spatula, gently turn squash.
- Continue roasting until a fork can easily spear individual pieces. Probably an additional 10 minutes
- Remove from oven and top with thyme for serving.
WONDERFUL MASHED SWEET POTATOES
5 lbs peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
Salt to taste
½ tsp. black pepper, (or more to taste)
1 tsp. cinnamon (We have two varieties)
¾ cup salted butter, plus additional for serving
¼ cup maple syrup (try Maple Valley organic maple syrup from the Paducah Olive Oil Co.!)
¼ cup light brown sugar
¾ half and half or heavy cream
- Fill a large pot with water and place cut potatoes in with a bit of salt. Place over high heat and bring to boil. Then reduce heat to simmer and cook until potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes and return to pot. Add the butter, half and half, brown sugar, syrup, and cinnamon. Reduce heat to low and mash until mixed thoroughly.
- Season with salt, pepper, and serve
Serves 6 – 8
One last thing to mention – we’re having an evening tasting on Saturday, Oct. 1st at 5:30 p.m. Our space is limited so we can only have 12 guests. No cost, but reservations are required. Please call the store at (270) 534 5790 to reserve your spot.