Roasted beets with Sesame and marjoram
Colorful dish of beets with tops and spices
- 4 bunches beets with tops or 2 lbs. beets and 1/2 bunch swiss chard with leaves
- 5 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 bunch marjoram or oregano, plus 2 tbsp leaves
- 1/2 cup creme' fraiche
- 1/4 cup whole milk greek yogurt
- 1 tsp plus 1 tbsp sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. trim beet tops and set aside half of them. Scrub beets, pat dry and slice 1/4 inch think.
- Toss in a bowl with 4 tbsp of the olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle dried marjoram on a rimmed baking sheet and lay out beets in an even layer on top. Sides touching is ok.
- Roast, turning occasionally, until beets are tender (15 - 20 min). Remove from oven and add beet greens. Roast until just slightly wilted or about 2 min. Remove from oven again and let cool.
- Whisk creme' fraiche, yogurt, and 1 tsp. vinegar in a small bowl. Season with salt to taste and set aside. Smash sesame seed, 2 tbsp. marjoram leaves and a bit of salt in a bowl or mortar and pestle. Mix with remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil and set this aside as well.
- Drizzle remaining vinegar on greens and beets and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon 1/2 of creme' fraiche mixture onto a platter and arrange beets and greens. Drizzle with remaining vinegar and creme' fraiche.