Paella is a Spanish seafood and rice dish, prized for the crispy bits of rice that come from letting the rice sizzle in the pan, and the deep yellow color from saffron. We cheat the color with less expensive ground turmeric and speed the process with precooked brown rice. Make sure to spread the rice mixture in an even layer so the bottom can crisp. The shrimp take less than 5 minutes to cook. Rinse well under cold running water until completely thawed, and then pat dry before adding to the pan. My brother always makes Paella when we’re at the beach. His recipe is awesome! But mine is easy and fast. And I think it is as good as his. But don’t tell him that!
- 2 T Paducah Olive Oil Co. Garlic infused Olive Oil
- 1/2 t Frontier Organic ground Turmeric
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 T Frontier Organic Minced Garlic
- 2 (8.8-oz.) pkg. precooked brown rice
- 3 T of Chicken Stock
- 1 1/2 t of Frontier Pepperman or Salt & Pepper to taste
- 12 ounces frozen medium shrimp, thawed, peeled, and deveined
- 2 T Paducah Olive Oil Jalapeño White Balsamic
- Frontier Organic Seafood Seasoning, regular or less sodium (both outrageously delish!)
Confession: I was in a hurry and bought a bag of presliced frozen veggies and substituted them for the veggies in the recipe. I also used a combo of rice and quinoa.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add turmeric; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add bell pepper, peas, and garlic to pan; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in rice; spread in an even layer. Cook, without stirring, 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in stock, salt, and pepper. Spread rice mixture in an even layer in pan. Cook, without stirring, 7 minutes.
Arrange shrimp on top of rice mixture; cover and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until shrimp are done. Drizzle balsamic and sprinkle seafood seasoning over pan. Serve immediately.