Pumpkin Pecan Scones with Maple Glaze
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup solid coconut oil (substitutable with 5 tbsp cold butter)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cloves or allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour (substitutable with regular whole wheat flour)
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 1/4 cup good maple syrup, such as Maple Valley organic maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (substitutable with organic vanilla bean paste, available at Paducah Olive Oil Co.)
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil or butter
- 1/8 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk (could be almond, low fat, oat, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. On a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper, scatter a single even layer of pecans and toast until fragrant (roughly 3 minutes). Chop pecans finely.
- Combine flour, 3/4ths of the chopped pecans, sugar, spices, baking powder, and salt in a medium sized mixing bowl and whisk.
- Using a pastry cutter, fork or knife, cut the coconut oil or butter into the dry ingredients. Mix into the flour.
- Stir in pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, and milk. Mix until all wet ingredients are incorporated thoroughly into the dry ingredients.
- Form dough into an inch-deep circle and use a chef's knife to cut into 8 equal slices.
- Place individual slices on the parchment covered baking sheet. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until light golden brown.
- While the scones bake, combine icing glaze ingredients in a small bowl until creamy. After scones cool a little, drizzle glaze over the top and sprinkle with the remaining chopped pecans.
All spices in this recipe can be found at Paducah Olive Oil Co.!