MAY NEWSLETTER FROM THE PADUCAH OLIVE OIL CO
May has come to Western Kentucky and with it, more pollen and allergies than we could have ever imagined! Here at the Paducah Olive Oil Co., we have a few suggestions to help our friends who suffer from these springtime issues.
We offer several varieties of teas that are helpful to sinus and nasal congestion.
Elderberry teas and tablets can help improve respiratory infections and relieve cold/flu symptoms. Honeybush tea has been used to improve the immune system and eases coughs. Irish breakfast tea is often used to help prevent allergies. Any of these are available at the Paducah Olive Oil Co.!
We’ve had a blast in the past couple of weeks preparing for Quilter’s Week and hosting a special evening of tasting for our friends. If you missed that opportunity, please keep watching the newsletter and our Facebook for your next chance. It was a wonderful time and Karla shared a new olive oil cake from a recent recipe find along with some salad and cheesecake. We even included a souvenir recipe booklet. Swing by and pick up a copy before they are all gone!
Daisy has been a busy girl posting every week about different spices that we want to feature. This month, we are posting a few recipes that use some more of our spices that we want to highlight for you!
Everyone’s mother is special, each in her own way. We want to take just a moment to honor all our mothers and all the mothers who visit us in the store and read this newsletter. Being a mother isn’t always easy, but it’s the greatest position on earth. Thank you, Moms!
If you haven’t shopped for your mother yet, come by and we’ll help you find just the right gift.
The recipes we’ve selected this month will hopefully entice you to spread your wings, so to speak. It’s great to try new dishes, make new family favorites, and start conversations over a good meal. Bon Appetit!
Honey-Chipotle Salmon with Cauliflower Rice Pilaf
- 1 1/4 lbs salmon, skin on cut into 4 pieces
- 1/2 tsp chipotle, chopped
- 2 tsp honey
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups cauliflower rice
- 1/2 cup frozen diced carrots and peas
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 CUP fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Place salmon on baking sheet skin-side down, and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Combine chipotle and honey in a bowl and brush on fish. Bake until salmon flakes easily with a fork, 6 to 12 min.
- Heat oil in large skillet over med. heat and add cauliflower rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and hot (around 3 min.) Add carrots and peas and garlic. Cook and stir occasionally for about 2 min. and remove from heat. Stir in almonds, cilantro, parmesan, and lime juice. Add remaining salt and serve salmon with pilaf.
Curried Beef Stew
- 3/4 lb beef stew meat cut into 1 - 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp flour all-purpose
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 large carrots sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper, then toss with flour. Heat oil in a Dutch oven and cook beef and onions until browned, stirring occasionally. Add curry powder soy sauce, and bay leaves and stock. Bring all to a boil, reduce heat and simmer with cover for 45 min.
- Stir in potatoes and carrots. Return to heat and simmer until meat, and vegetables are tender - about 1 1/4 hours. Remove bay leaves, stir in vinegar. May serve with either brown or white rice if desired.