While elderberry syrup is readily available for purchase, you can also prepare it in the comfort of your own home! Here’s how:
- 3 ½ cups cold water
- 1 cup dried elderberries
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- 1 cup raw honey
- Add water, elderberries, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil then cover and reduce to a simmer 45 minutes to an hour, or until the liquid has reduced to almost half. Remove saucepan from heat and allow to cool.
- Carefully mash the berries then pour syrup through a strainer into a large bowl.
- When the syrup is completely cooled, add the honey and stir well.
- Pour into a sealable jar and store in the fridge for up to three weeks.