February is traditionally the time devoted to thoughts of love and sweethearts and creating a special day for the one you love. We can help you with some of that! For that special person in your life, we offer gift baskets with all kinds of goodies! They are each made to order with your choice of any of our fine chocolates, pastas, sauces, spices, along with oils and balsamics. Call or come in today and let us fix you up with the perfect Valentine’s Day gift.
Just in case we experience a bit of bad weather and you find yourself cooped up inside, it’s great to have some of our teas on hand for a nice hot cup of tea to warm you inside and out! This month, we are featuring some of the herbal teas such as Rooibos tea, which has so many health benefits. First, it is caffeine free. It is packed with anti-oxidants, boosts heart health, and can help with type 2 diabetes.
One of our most popular teas is Forever Fruit tea. It can be served hot or cold. Some of its benefits are that it is full of vitamin C, helps reduce blood pressure, acts as an anti-depressant and fights aging. Forever Fruit tea can also help keep your kidneys healthy.
It is still cold and flu season and we are stocked with DIY elderberry syrup kits, elderberry gummies, zinc and elderberry throat lozenges. We also have two varieties of “Fire Cider” to help you stay healthy.
One of the spices we are featuring this month is Creole seasoning. We found some quick, tasty recipes featuring it.
Second Day Rice
- ¼ butter, cubed
- 1 tsp. creole seasoning
- 1/8 tsp. pepper,
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
Directions: In a small saucepan, melt butter: add creole seasoning and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes. Stir in rice. Cover and heat through.
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 tsp. creole seasoning
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 4 kaiser rolls, split and toasted
Directions: In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Add beef, mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 4 ½ inch think patties.
Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 inches from heat for 4 – 5 min. on each side or until internal temp is 160. Serve on rolls.
Cajun pasta with creamy sauce
- 1 pkg. spiral pasta
- 1 lb. fresh cut asparagus
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 c. heavy cream
- ½ c. parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 TSB. Creole seasoning
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Cook pasta in a large pot according to directions.
- Add asparagus for the last 4 minutes.
- Cook sausage over med. Heat in a skillet, along with garlic. Stir in cream, cheese, seasoning, and pepper.
- Cook all together until slightly thick, usually around 3 min.
- Drain pasta and asparagus, reserving ½ c. water. Add to sausage mixture. Toss all together, adding reserved water to reach desired consistency.